If you are like me you will find yourself half-way through your shop when that little voice in your head lets you know you left your reusable shopping bags in the car. Here are some tips on how you can remember to take them into the store with you But first, here are some facts on plastic bags.
Plastic Bag Facts
- Plastic bags can take 10 – 1000 years to decompose.
- 100,000 marine animals a year die from plastic
related deaths – entanglement or swallowing.
- Plastic bags can release toxins into soil.
- 80% of plastic pollution end up in the ocean. A
turtle can mistake a plastic bag for a jellyfish. Eating a plastic bag is fatal
for a turtle.
- All states in Australia, except for New South Wales,
have single use plastic bag bans.
Tips to help you remember to take your bags into the store with you
- Have a good supply of reusable bags – inside as
well as in your car, at the office, handbag, backpack etc.
- After unpacking your shopping always put your
bags back in the car, or by the door so you can take them out to the car next
time you go.
- Buy yourself a groovy fashionable bag or one
that represents your favourite footy team so that you will enjoy taking the bag
to the supermarket with you.
- Write "BAGS" at the top of your shopping list.
- If you have an iPhone you can set a reminder
when you arrive at a certain location.
- If you get to the store and you have left your
bags in the car, go back and get them.
Remember, the supermarkets aren’t doing this to annoy you.
It is actually legislated and they can be fined for supplying single use plastic
bags.You should also try to clean out/wash your reusable bags every now and again to ensure they aren't harbouring any nasty bacteria and germs.
People who shop at Aldi are used to taking their own bags to
the supermarket. We all have to remember to do this now, no matter what
supermarket or store we shop at. It will soon become automatic.
The less plastic being released into the environment the better.